Sunday, November 2, 2014

Field trips, fall, and what has been going on in the art room!

Hello all! I can not believe the 2nd week back from fall break has ended and I am just catching you all up on the great work the kids have been doing!

So - let me begin with the 1st graders and all their fun with KANDINSKY!



Last Friday we went to the Frist and the 1st graders did an AMAZING job being their creative, well behaved, loving, selves!!! I think they all did a fantastic job looking through all of the exhibit answering questions and discussing the art work. I have to tell you the docents at the Frist were impressed on how much the kids knew and how engaged they were! I was such a PROUD Art Teacher!!!

In class the 1st graders and I did a lesson from a book I bought at the Frist titled "The Noisy Paint Box." I read the story and talked about how Kandinsky painted not just what he saw but how he felt.
We then did paintings using our noisy paint boxes (of course!) and listed to some music as we painted to get into our channeling of Kandinsky. I have to say they really enjoyed the lesson and I was very happy when I was OBSERVED during Mrs. Gipson's class and Mrs. Miller loved the lesson too! YEA!!!! Check out one example of student work:





In class this 9 weeks I have decided 2nd - 5th grade will be doing art from various places throughout the world.

2nd grade is learning about Africa and for our 1st project we are making paper beads. The women in Africa make these into necklaces and sale them to make money for their family. The students are rolling the paper into beads and then we will use the beads to make our own snowflake ornaments!
(Yes, already thinking snow and holidays.....)

3rd grade started this lesson BEFORE fall break and is finally finishing up a project of weaving. We will be doing art from Mexico so it ties in. The students have been working hard on their fall trees! This guy decided to make his an apple tree!

 


4th grade is working on "stained glass." More on this later a part of it is a school SUPRISE! We are discussing Egypt BUT I must say I am considering a change of plans to lessons on Europe.... we shall see....

5th grade is doing art from Japan. We are making origami snowflakes for our 1st lesson. You know me I can not do things SMALL so ends up I am going to have about 125 really big snowflakes.... These will be used in the school somehow!!!   (ours are WHITE or BLUE)




My little Kindergartners - I did not forget about you! They worked on a little drawing and watercolor painting of a cute kitty cat! I am leaning more to "folk art" type things for them this 9 weeks with this group....

Here is one I really liked! Cute and yes, a little "Halloweenish".


That is it for the last 2 weeks! Be looking for 5th grade field trip December 2nd to Children's Theater with me! Yep - set design will be part of our 3rd nine weeks plans!!! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment